Earning the Certificate in Service Learning
The Certificate in Service Learning (CSL) recognizes your experiences in utilizing your classroom skills to meet community-identified needs. Earning the certificate involves taking classes, engaging in volunteer work, and reflecting on your service learning experiences. Once you have earned the certificate, it is acknowledged on your official academic transcript.
Certificate Coursework requirement change
Change will officially take effect Fall 2018.
- During the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 academic year, you have the option to FINISH the certificate program using 2 service learning classes OR 1 service learning class and 1 social awareness class. If you do not complete the certificate by the end of Spring 2018, you will be required to meet the new course work requirement starting Fall 2018.
Steps to Earn the Certificate
Registration for this certificate is through myKU Portal. Log in to your myKU portal and select the “Undergraduate Certificates” link from the “Academics” tab in MyKU Portal to register for the Certificate in Service Learning. Please allow a couple of days for the service learning record to become active in myKU Portal. You will use myKU Portal to track service hours and submit your final reflection.
Take 1 designated service-learning (SL) class and 1 social awareness (SA) class. View eligible classes.
- Service learning classes must be taken for a minimum of 3 credit hours. Classes that qualify toward the certificate vary by semester.
- Some approved courses offer optional service or multiple projects that serve for-profit and non-profit organizations. In order for your service to be approved for certificate, you must have participated in the service learning component of the course, and the service must in non-profit sector.
- You may have taken a SL or SA service-learning class that is not included on the list of courses. Please suggest any course to the CSL Coordinator that you feel should be included. We will seek approval to have the class added to the list.
Change will officially take effect after December 15, 2017 during winter break.
- This is not a class. Resources to help you complete this component will be available on the Center for Service Learning website. After reviewing the online Service 101 resources, you will need to respond to some reflection questions, which will be available on your service learning certificate record in myKU Portal.
- Service 101 can be completed anytime during the certification process. The service 101 reflection questions must be submitted and approved before you can complete the final reflection.
- participate in an alternative break trip
- volunteer at a non-profit agency
- complete another service learning course
If you continue service at an agency beyond what is required for your service learning class, you may use those hours to complete this component. Contact us with questions or to discuss other options for completing the additional service.
If you complete service hours that are not part of a class, you will need to fill out this additional service verification form and upload it to your submission in myKU Portal.
Write a reflection summary including all of your service experiences. Because you will be including all of your service experiences in the reflection, you may not submit the reflection or attend a session prior to completing the majority of your service experiences. The written reflection needs to be submitted through myKU Portal. Preview the reflection questions.
To complete the reflection or attend a session, you must have registered for the certificate, completed Service 101, and finished the majority of your coursework and service.
Make sure you apply to graduate from your certificate program(s) through Enroll and Pay!
Spring 2019 online graduation application deadline: March 1, 2019
If you plan to complete a certificate program in any given semester, you should apply to graduate from the certificate program even if you still have classes or experiences in progress.
Instructions on applying to graduate from certificate programs can be found on Student Information System website.