Chancellor Gray-Little speaks with students during the kick-off of the KU Advocacy Corps.
Chancellor Gray-Little speaks with students during the kick-off of the KU Advocacy Corps.


The KU Advocacy Corps was created to build connections and strengthen relationships between the University of Kansas and community organizations that serve Lawrence and Douglas County. Faculty, staff, and students act as the KU contact for an organization, leveraging resources, promoting the partner agency, and helping create connections within KU.


Created on April 10, 2010, as part of Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little’s inaugural celebration, fifty organizations and advocates came together to establish connections that would persist beyond a single celebratory event.

KU is already proud to be part of many close relationships and mutually beneficial partnerships between departments, schools, faculty, and their counterpart community agencies and organizations. The KU Advocacy Corps was created to extend these kinds of relationships throughout the university and community. Members represent KU’s dedication to the larger community, acting not only as a spokesperson for a local nonprofit but also for the broader population as well as the common good.

Become an Advocate

Each advocate role is individualized to the needs of the nonprofit it represents as well as to the skills and abilities of the advocate. However, each advocate agrees to:

  • commit to a year of working with an agency and communicating effectively with that agency.
  • confer with the agency, gathering information about their needs and how KU resources could be helpful.
  • initiate contact at the beginning of the partnership and several times each semester to continue work on organization needs.
  • serve as a proactive representative of the partner agency to the university community.
  • marshal support and resources on campus that can strengthen the organization’s ability to serve its client base.
  • extend his/her reach. An advocate is not the same as a volunteer; time and skill should be put towards identifying campus resources for the agency, not serving solely as a volunteer him/herself.

Sample Ways to Advocate

  • Recruit a campus organization to host an event for your agency.
  • Serve as a connection between the Center for Civic and Social Responsibility and your agency.
  • Recruit volunteers with special skills or knowledge to respond to an agency need.
  • Connect campus members with your agency to fill needed Board of Directors terms.
  • Involve student volunteers and the skills from their discipline for the good of your agency (journalism, design, public administration, computer engineering, etc.).
  • Be a liaison between a campus organization and community organization supporting the same cause.
  • Create an awareness campaign on campus.

Resources for Advocates

Each advocate-agency pairing will be unique in its needs. Compiled below are resources about the university that advocates have found helpful in working with their community partners.

If you know of additional resources not listed, please let us know. Please note: some methods may require prior approval.


KU Policies

Communication on Campus

Email Policies: Individuals who wish to use KU email in support of external organizations must secure written or email approval of the Provost or the Provost's designee. The Provost ordinarily will approve such use only when it furthers (KU's mission and goals).

Policy on Bulletin Boards, Postings, and Sidewalk Chalk: "General Use" bulletin boards are located at various campus sites and are intended primarily for use by KU students, faculty, and staff. Materials allowed include information about community events and community classifieds.

Campus Mail: The use of campus mail for personal, business, solicitation, or political purposes is expressly prohibited. Exceptionsmay be granted by the Chancellor or Executive Vice Chancellor when the exception is deemed to be in the best interests of the University.

Campus mail boxes in various departments and buildings are considered to be under the jurisdiction of the unit in which they are located. Materials may be placed directly by individuals in these campus mail boxes if permission has been obtained from the appropriate person in the unit with jurisdiction over that particular campus mail box.

Student Housing: Student housing does not allow signs, bills, or fliers of any type to be posted by outside organizations.

For detailed information regarding methods of communication, please review the university policy on the use of equipment, facilities, personnel, and other resources.

Holding Events on Campus

Non-KU organizations may hold events on campus if approved by appropriate University administrators.

Guidelines for events on campus through the University Events Committee. [pdf]


Reserving space in the Unions
Reserving space other than in the Unions
  • Rooms at the KU Edwards Campus, Overland Park, can be reserved by non-KU groups after campus needs have been met. Contact the Edwards Campus at (913) 897–8400 or
  • Space in the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center, Shenk Fields, and Adams Campus Challenge Course can be reserved by non-KU organizations.
  • Danforth Chapel requires a registration form [doc] and submittal of a University Events Committee Form [doc].
Information and Solicitation Tables on Campus

Off-campus organizations may request to set up tables for information or solicitation on campus given University Events Committee approval.

There is a reservation fee associated with reserving these locations. The fee is considerably less if the off-campus organization is associated with an on-campus organization.


Visitor Parking on Campus
  • Access to Jayhawk Boulevard is restricted from 7:45am to 5:00pm every weekday when classes are in session.
  • Visitors wishing to park on campus can do so in the Allen Fieldhouse Garage or Mississippi Street Parking Garage at the prescribed rate.
  • Visitors may also park at any metered spots by paying the required amount.
  • Parking permits for visitors can also be purchased at the Parking & Transit Office in the Allen Fieldhouse Garage.
  • Information about visitor parking and a Parking map[pdf]
Blackboard Use by non-KU Individuals
  • People not officially affiliated with KU may be provided a Blackboard-only account.
  • A KU faculty or staff member “sponsor” must request these types of accounts.
  • Accounts are temporary, but renewable on an annual basis, with the approval of the KU sponsor.
  • Assigned only to individuals who are working with KU faculty/staff on officially recognized activities on the Blackboard system (i.e., those included under the institution’s license for Blackboard).
  • University's Blackboard policy and procedures
Using Official KU Trademarks

There are various rules and guidelines for using official KU trademarks, and these guidelines vary based upon the department that oversees the logo.

For example, the Jayhawk is adminstered by KU Athletics, the signature by University Relations, and the University Seal by the Chancellor.

Guidelines for trademark usage are found in the Trademark Licensing Policy.

Food/Beverage on Campus

Any foods served or given out on campus must be from KU Memorial Unions unless granted an exception

Food Exception Policy [pdf]; Request for Exception Form [pdf]

Alcoholic beverages on campus are only permitted for official University events and by approval. Policy regarding alcohol on campus.


Publicity at KU

These resources are for use by advocates because of their KU affiliation. Please see the policy page for approval information and any additional restrictions.

Resources for Publicity

Table tents in the Unions/dining: Information on table tent locations and contacts.

Fliers in Housing: Contact the Department of Student Housing to request distribution numbers for approved fliers.

Fliers in campus mail: Request the mailing list for approved fliers.

Notices on buses: Contact Parking & Transit.

Email Senate members:

Facebook event: Create a Facebook event and post updates during and after the event.

Advertisements on the main KU page: Contact University Relations.

Request a University Daily Kansas article: Contact the UDK editor.

Request a KU Today article: Contact the Oread editor.

Kansas Public Radio publicity: Contact David Darman or J. Schafer.

Notices on plasma screens: Contact Kansas Union Marketing Services.


Connecting with the Greek Community

Greek Life PowerPoint (Presented by Dustin Struble, Assistant Director for Greek Life Programs in the Student Involvement and Leadership Center).


Top Ten Resources for Navigating KU















Information for Community Partners

To connect with an advocate, an organization must:

  • be a nonprofit, charitable, or social service agency.
  • dedicate a year to working with an advocate and communicating effectively with that advocate.
  • designate one individual for the advocate to contact.
  • understand that advocates are an access point and contact for extending university resources to the agency; their own ability to volunteer is just part of how an advocate can assist an agency.

Suggestions for Organizations

  • Clarify expectations with your advocate. Each advocate-organization pairing functions as decided by those involved. Make sure you and your advocate have the same understanding of expectations.
  • Be creative. Your advocate, while working or studying in one area at KU, can initiate contact with other people or areas if it would be helpful to your group.
  • Frame the advocate's work as furthering the organizational mission rather than meeting daily needs.

Connect with an Advocate

Request an Advocate

Join the KU Advocacy Corps and help a community organization connect to KU.

Request an Advocate
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram